Picking a pumpkin can be fun and entertaining. Going to the pumpkin patch, riding out to the field and choosing the best pumpkin possible. Here are some tips for picking the perfect pumpkin for decorating.
Physical characteristics to look for in choosing a quality & fresh Jack-O-Lantern:
• Choose a pumpkin that feels firm and heavy for its size.
• Choose a pumpkin that has consistent coloring throughout.
• Turn the pumpkin over and place pressure on the bottom with your thumbs.
If it flexes or gives your pumpkin is not fresh.
• Look for soft spots, mold, wrinkles or open cuts that would indicate damage or early spoilage.
• Choose a pumpkin with a solidly attached stem.
• A green stem indicates a freshly harvested pumpkin.
• Place your pumpkin on a flat surface to check to see if it will sit flat after being carved.
Find pumpkins that have especially smooth skin and shallow ribbing. Some pumpkins (Orange Smoothie) are a good eating pumpkin, so be sure to use a non-toxic paint. You can eat them when you are through decorating.
Many gourds can be used all through the Fall season for decor. Have fun and enjoy.